By Alok Saboo on July 18th, 2010
Mobile VoIP (mVoIP) is growing in popularity. The growing number of mobile SIP clients on the App store is a testimony to this fact. However, one issue that plagues the rapid adoption of VoIP on smart phones is that most of these SIP clients are PAID. We have already covered two mobile SIP clients that are free:
- Read our tutorial on how to configure SIP accounts in Nimbuzz
- How to configure SIP accounts and Skype on Fring
While both Fring and Nimbuzz are great options, today we cover yet another SIP client that is totally FREE – Whistle Phone iPhone SIP client. We have already covered Whistle phone in great details in our earlier posts that you may find useful.
- Detailed review and video tutorial on how to make FREE calls to USA from Whistle phone SIP client for iPhone or iPad.
- How to use Whistle Phone on any SIP device and make free VoIP calls to USA
However, one feature that we did not mention in our earlier tutorials is the ability to use the Whistle Phone app as a FREE mobile SIP client. Although very basic, Whistle phone is a decent SIP client (especially for its price).
To use Whistle Phone app as your SIP client, you need to configure the SIP settings of your VoIP provider inside Whistle Phone. The video below provides detailed instructions on how to reconfigure SIP settings inside Whistle Phone.
If you prefer to read, here is a step by step guide:
- Needless to say that you need to have the Whistle Phone app (iTunes Link) installed on your iDevice
- Go to Settings and scroll down until you see Whistle.
- Inside the Whistle Settings, you can enter the SIP details of your VoIP provider. Enter the username of your SIP account in the first field and the SIP proxy in the second field. For example, if you want to configure Voxalot on Whistle, you need to enter your account number in the first field and Voxalot SIP proxy (e.g., us.voxalot.com) in the proxy field.
- Next, when you restart Whistle Phone App, you will be prompted to enter the password for your SIP account and click Authenticate.
- If successfully registered, you should see the dialer with your account number on top.
- That’s it, you are now ready to use your Voxalot account through Whistle Phone app. You could configure any other VoIP provider in the same way.
Whistle Phone app is a simple and reliable SIP client. Do not expect a lot from Whistle Phone and you will not be disappointed. It does not have advanced options such as wideband, STUN support, multiple SIP accounts, display name, etc. But it has the basic options that will enable you to make and receive calls. If you are looking for a more advanced SIP client, please have a look at our video review of Media5 Fone SIP client for iPhone and Symbian.
Please share your feedback about Whistle Phone. Also, if you are aware of other such SIP clients, please leave a comment and I will try to provide detailed instructions about the same.
BTW, do not forget to spread the word so that your friends can also enjoy this tutorial…