By Alok Saboo on April 27th, 2010
A while back, we discussed how to add custom SIP accounts and configure Skype in Fring. Although the instructions were applicable to other platforms (at least in spirit), there was some confusion about how to do that on the Symbian platform. I was just browsing the comments and it stuck me the number of users were not able to translate the instructions on the Nokia platform. Given that the Symbian (Nokia) platform is still the leading smart phone platform, I thought it will be worth while to translate the tutorial for the Nokia platform. I am extremely obliged to Manoj Kumar for sharing the screenshots for me to be able to put this tutorial together. Please note that this tutorial is based on the Nokia 5800 XpressMUSIC phone, which has the Symbian S60 OS. I am hoping that the instructions will not be too different on other Nokia phones. Hopefully, this should help you enhance your mobile VoIP (mVoIP) experience even on Nokia phones.
- The first step is to install Fring (Ovi store link) on your phone using the Ovi store. You will then see the Fring app on your phone. Start the Fring app to enter your SIP details and other settings.
- Once you are inside Fring, you will see icons for various services, including Skype, Yahoo messenger, Google Talk, MSN Live, and Twitter, among others.
- To configure Skype on Fring, just click the Skype icon and then enter your Skype authentication details and you should be all set to use Skype.
- To configure your SIP account, click the SIP icon. You should see some pre-configured SIP providers. If your SIP provider is already preconfigured, you just need to enter your username and password and you will be all set.
- If, however, your SIP provider is not listed, then select the Other option. Click OK and then Subscribe.
- You will then be presented the screen where you need to enter your SIP details.
- Please note that the User-ID needs to be entered in the firstname.lastname@example.org format. For example, if your SIP provider is Rynga.com, you would enter email@example.com in the user-ID field. Similarly, if your SIP provider is SmartVoIP, you need to enter firstname.lastname@example.org in the user-ID field.
- Enter your password and the proxy server (usually optional) in the respective fields and click Subscribe. If you have entered your details correctly, you should see a check mark against the SIP icon.
That’s it, now you are all set to make cheap or even free calls via SIP on Fring from your Nokia phone.
If this tutorial was helpful, do not forget to spread the word around. Thanks!!