By Alok Saboo on February 16th, 2010
We have already seen two great ways to push Google Voice notifications to your iPhone. But, it looks like some users were having difficulty in using the Mail2Prowl service. So, today we have another tutorial to push Google Voice notifications to your iPhone – VoiceGrowl.
Step 1: Installation
- VoiceGrowl works exactly like Mail2Prowl that we discussed last time, so the first two steps would be exactly like our previous tutorial.
- Follow the guide to set up SMS forwarding in Google Voice.
- Next, install and configure Prowl on your iPhone.
- Login to VoiceGrowl account. You do not have to enter your Google Voice account details. Just authorize VoiceGrowl to access some of your account information so that it could provide your with a forwarding email address.
- After you allow access to your Google Account, VoiceGrowl will generate a forwarding email for you. The forwarding address is usually your Gmail_user_id@googlevoice.ub3rk1tten.com, but make sure you are using the correct forwarding address.
- Next, just create a Gmail filter as shown in the tutorial here and use the forwarding address that you obtained in the previous step.
- Also, you will need to enter your Prowl API key in VoiceGrowl so that it can push notifications to Prowl. Just copy your Prowl API key and enter here.
- That’s, it!! You are now ready to push Google Voice notifications to your iPhone.
Now if anyone sends you a text message (SMS) or a voicemail to your Google Voice account, it will be automatically pushed to your iPhone (on Prowl). To demonstrate, let us send a test message to my Google Voice account…
This message will be pushed to my iPhone as:
For many of us who have not been too happy with Mail2Prowl, this is a great alternative. So now you know how to receive unlimited free text messages (SMS) on your iPhone. You can combine this tutorial with our earlier tutorial on sending unlimited free text messages (SMS) for a completely free messaging system. As always, if you are having trouble with any step, just drop a comment and I will try my best to help you out.