By Alok Saboo on October 21st, 2009
We discussed how to add custom SIP account in Nimbuzz. Continuing our Mobile VoIP (mVoIP) series, today we will discus how to add custom SIP account and configure Skype and other instant messaging (IM) accounts in Fring. Fring is another leading SIP client for various mobile platforms, including iPhone, Windows Mobile, and Symbian. I am using an iPhone for this tutorial, but you can easily follow this tutorial on any other platform.You can even use Fring on an iPod Touch.
- The first step is to get Fring on your phone. You can download Fring via SMS, WAP, or PC. If you are using iPhone or iPod, use this link to install Fring (iTunes link). Everything is free, so go ahead and do that!!
- If you using Fring for the first time, you will need to create an account – go ahead do that.
- After you start Fring, you will see the dialer:
- Click on the “More” tab to enter your account details to be used with Fring. Click Add-ons and you will see various accounts supported by Fring. You can use Skype, Twitter, MSN, ICQ, Google Talk, Yahoo Messenger, AIM, and any SIP account with Fring.
- You can enter all the accounts that you want to use with Fring. Remember, you can use Fring to chat or talk with your buddies on these networks, i.e., you can have FREE voice conversations with your online buddies. If you want to use Skype to make outgoing calls, just click Skype and enter your Skype login details and you will be able to use Skype with your Nimbuzz, i.e. you can chat your Skype friends, call your online friends for free, and use Skypeout to make calls.
- To add any other SIP account, select “SIP”. Fring already has pre-configured settings for a few providers, i.e., you only have to enter your login details and nothing else.
- For example, if you want to add Gizmo5 account, just click Gizmo and enter your login details.
- But, if you want to add a custom SIP account, select “Other” and enter your account details.
- You can get the details from your SIP provider. You can find the Jumblo SIP settings, SmartVoIP SIP settings, ActionVoIP SIP settings, and other Betamax SIP settings.
- After you have entered all your account details, you can then use these accounts to connect with your buddies. For example, you can just click the “Buddy List” to see your online friends and connect with them.
- If you want to make Phone calls using Fring, just click the “Dialer” tab. Here, you can enter the number. I could not find the option to use the phonebook to make calls, so you need to enter the phone number manually. If you want to change the country code, just click the flag on the left side and you can select the destination country. You can use your SIP account, Cellular network, or Skype Out to make calls. Choose the one that works best for you.
That’s it!!! You are all set to use Fring to make cheap phone calls. If you are using any of the Betamax services (e.g. Jumblo, SmartVoIP, ActionVoIP, etc.), you may even be able to make free calls to various destinations during the free days.
Hope this guide was helpful!! Do not hesitate to write back if you have any clarifications about this or require specific instructions for any specific provider.