By Alok Saboo on September 16th, 2009
From the number of comments/questions that I get, it seems that Mobile VoIP (mVoIP) is growing fast. If you are still not familiar with the idea, I would recommend that you read Mobile VoIP (mVoIP) for dummies. Today, I am going to provide a simple tutorial on how to add a custom SIP provider in Nimbuzz. Nimbuzz is a leading SIP client for various mobile platforms, including iPhone, Android, Windows Mobile, Symbian, Blackberry, etc. I will provide a complete review of the Nimbuzz application later, but meanwhile here is a tutorial that will help you started and make cheap of free international VoIP calls from your Mobile. I am using an iPhone for this tutorial, but you can easily follow this tutorial on any other platform.You can even use Nimbuzz on iPod Touch.
- The first step is to create an account and get Nimbuzz on your phone. Everything is free, so go ahead and do that.
- Fire up Nimbuzz on your phone and enter your Nimbuzz login details.
- After you login, you will see multiple tabs. Click on the Phone Calls tab and you will see the contacts in your phone book. If you haven’t added any SIP account, you will only be able to use your Cell Phone to make calls (see picture below).
- To add other accounts to your Nimbuzz profle, click the “Cell Phone >” button so that you can add other accounts through which you can make calls. You can make calls using your Cell Phone, Skype, and any other SIP account.
- If you want to use Skype to make outgoing calls, just click Skype and enter your Skype login details and you will be able to use Skype with your Nimbuzz, i.e. you can chat your Skype friends, call your online friends for free, and use Skypeout to make calls.
- To add any other SIP account, select “Other VoIP Account”. Nimbuzz already has configured setting for a few providers, i.e. you only have to enter your login details and nothing else.
- For example, if you want to add Gizmo5 account, just click Gizmo5 and enter your login details.
- But, if you want to add a custom SIP account, select “Other VoIP Account” and enter your account details.
- You can get the details from your SIP provider. You can find the Jumblo SIP settings, SmartVoIP SIP settings, ActionVoIP SIP settings, and other Betamax SIP settings.
- Once you have added the details, you can select your SIP account to make calls.
- Just enter the number and start talking…
If you are using any of the Betamax services (e.g. Jumblo, SmartVoIP, ActionVoIP, etc.), you will be able to make free calls to the free destinations during the free days. Hope this helps you in using your favorite VoIP provider and making cheap or free international calls.
Do not hesitate to write back if you have any clarifications about this or require specific instructions for any specific provider.