By Alok Saboo on May 6th, 2009
We recently reviewed Airtel’s India One calling Plan, where Airtel was offering 1cent/min to India. However, the India One plan had several shortcomings:
- There was a monthly rental of $3.99, i.e. you got calling credit of only $6 for every $10 that you spent.
- Further, the calling credits expired within 30 days.
- Mobile Talk: Call any India mobile for only 1 cents/min
- City Talk: Call landlines in major cities (Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Calcutta, Chennai, Hyderabad, Mumbai and New Delhi) for 1 cent/min
Although the offer appears nice, read the details before you jump on:
- The 1 cent/min rate is valid only for the option that you select, i.e. if you call a landline phone using the Mobile Talk plan, the rate will be much higher (3.6 cents/min) or the other way.
- The 1 cent rate is applicable only if you use a local access number. If you prefer to use a toll free number, the rates are 3 cents/min.
- For every recharge you have to pay $2.99 service charge, i.e. you effectively pay $12.99 for 1000 minutes of calling (under the appropriate plan). Thus, you effectively pay 1.299 cents/min.
The offer is still better than the Airtel India One plan and if you do not want to deal with Betamax clones like ActionVoIP or SmartVoIP that offer India calling for less than a cent then you must definitely consider Raza.