By Alok Saboo on April 6th, 2009
Betamax’s latest offering Actionvoip has created quite a stir in the VoIP market. Actionvoip is offering ultra cheap VoIP calls to several countries. Rates to some of the countries are so low that consumers are doubting the claims of the company. I have been quite surprised with Actionvoip’s pricing and have been following it closely. In fact, I was so excited about the pricing that I decided to do a deeper analysis of the Betamax call rates across its offerings and the results are summarized below:
- Betamax has over 32 offerings in the market. I would rather treat them as product variants than different companies.
- Comparing the rates of all the offerings, it becomes evident that Betamax is targeting a different segment through each offering.
- Betamax has priced the rates such that there is no one service which clearly is better for all destination.
- For instance, SmartVoIP offers free calls to several destinations and low cost calls to several popular destinations, but is not very competitive for several other destinations.
However, with the launch of ActionVoIP this strategy appears to be changing. ActionVoIP is clearly superior to the other Betamax offerings for several reasons.
- It offers extremely cheap international calls to several countries.
- You would not be worse off selecting Actionvoip as compared to any other offering, i.e. ActionVoIP is cheaper or equal in terms of rates to most popular countries. You should still check the rates for your destination here.
- The only flip side is that unlike most Betamax offerings, ActionVoip does not offer free calling to any destination. So if your destination is one of the free calling destination in any of the other Betamax offerings, you can give ActionVoip a pass. But if your destination is not among the free calling destinations, then you are better off with ActionVoIP.
What does it mean for you?
So if you have to select one VoIP provider and you are looking for the cheapest VoIP provider, you would be better off with ActionVoIP. ActionVoIP offers SIP support and local access numbers in several countries, thus allowing you to use VoIP without computers.
p.s. If you want a cheaper option, then check out how to to make unlimited free calls to India, China, Philippines, Canada, UK, and Singapore.